Thermosiphon System: Introduction
- Thermosiphon (or thermosyphon) is a method of passive heat exchange, based on natural convection, which circulates a fluid without the necessity of a mechanical pump.
- Thermosiphoning is used for circulation of liquids and volatile gases in heating and cooling applications such as heat pumps, water heaters, boilers, and furnaces. Thermosiphoning also occurs across air temperature gradients such as those utilized in a wood fire chimney or solar chimney.
- This circulation can either be open-loop, as when the substance in a holding tank is passed in one direction via a heated transfer tube mounted at the bottom of the tank to a distribution point—even one mounted above the originating tank—or it can be a vertical closed-loop circuit with return to the original container.
- Its purpose is to simplify the transfer of liquid or gas while avoiding the cost and complexity of a conventional pump.
Key Drivers and Restraints of the Global Thermosiphon System Market
- Some of the factors driving the thermosiphon system market are its simplicity and no moving parts. Moreover, it requires no electricity for operation.
- Thermosiphon systems have very good freeze protection if used with antifreeze and its basic principles can be well understood by conventional plumbing trades. Unlike other heaters these systems have no problems with hard water and can be powered by PV (Photovoltaic).
- Thermosiphon systems are the simplest reliable freeze protection systems, and fluids are not subject to stagnation temperatures. They are also simple to homebrew, supported and driven by PV (Photovoltaic), that is, through light-electricity.
- Some of the factors that might affect the thermosiphon market are that the freeze protection is typically poor in it and inefficient in cold climates and these problems usually occur in small sized systems.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Factors Driving the Global Thermosiphon System Market
- By eliminating the need for a pump, thermosiphon systems reduce the overall complexity involved in taking advantage of solar power. Thermosiphon systems are thus more reliable and require little maintenance.
- Given that pumps require electricity to operate, their exclusion from thermosiphon systems make such systems significantly efficient to operate. Through simple precautions, thermosiphon heating systems are easily protected against adverse conditions (such as freezing). The HTF used in these systems typically includes a non-toxic antifreeze ingredient that reduces the risk of equipment damage in extremely cold weather.
- Meanwhile, the water tanks of thermosiphon systems are heavily insulated to conserve heat and prevent the potable water supply from freezing. Some homes are big enough to have the water storage tank of the thermosiphon system installed under a roof structure, which could offer another layer of protection. These factors are expected to boost the growth of the thermosiphon market
Power Industry Segment to Offer Growth Opportunities
- Based on application, the global thermosiphon system market can be categorized into metallurgical industry, petrochemical, power industry, and textile industry. The market is highly advanced in the power industry sector.
- Despite certain limitations of thermosiphon water heaters, they still present some distinct advantages to homeowners who want a reliable, low-maintenance option of harnessing solar power. When designed and installed properly, they provide a steady supply of hot water at minimal cost and can function for years with virtually no maintenance.
North America to Lead the Global Thermosiphon System Market
- The global thermosiphon system market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America is a significant market for thermosiphon systems due to the presence of several key market players.
- Substantial investment in research and development by various end-user segments in the region are anticipated to drive the global thermosiphon system market in North America