The CoolJazz Festival in Cascais has been postponed to 2022
After Rock in Rio and Primavera Sound, another cult event is betting everything next year.
The festival should take place on several days in July.
In May 2020 the news came: Since the future of the pandemic is still uncertain, CoolJazz announced the cancellation and the bet in 2021 two months in advance. Now that the world is still in a pandemic crisis, its uncertainties are already more predictable. The organization announced the same: The 17th edition of the festival, which was originally planned for July 2020 in Cascais, has been “due to the world situation” for another year postponed to July 2022.
“The EDP CoolJazz Festival will be postponed to 2022. Due to the global situation due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the resulting uncertainties in the area of public health, the event marks a new date for July 2022, ”said the organizer Live Experiences again in Cascais. in a statement released Wednesday March 24th and quoted by Lusa.
This year’s CoolJazz poster included John Legend, Lionel Richie, Neneh Cherie and Kokoroko, Jorge Ben Jor and Herbie Hancock, among others.
“With all the respect we have for the public, artists, technicians, everyone involved and of course for public health, we have to postpone until 2022. This festival has a long history, it has a lot of credibility with the artists, with the public, agents, public opinion and we don’t want to offer more than the best and in 2021 the conditions are not met. We’ll see each other very much in 2022, ”said Live Experiences promoter and director Karla Campo, mentioned in the statement.
Tickets purchased for 2020 and 2021 “are valid for the same concerts as 2022 and there is no need to change”. The organization promises “additional ticket information, new dates and other information needed by the public” for “soon”.
Last year’s summer was spent without the usual music festivals in Portugal. The Portuguese Association of Music Festivals (Aporfest) estimated a loss of around 1.6 billion euros compared to the two billion made by the activity in 2019.
Several more music festivals are planned from June this year, including Alive (July) in Oeiras, Super Bock Super Rock (July), Sesimbra, Sudoeste (August), Odemira and Paredes de Coura (August) the district of Viana do Castelo, but the Organizers want to know under what conditions they can do it.
In January, associations representing the sector started meetings under the guidance of culture and the presence of the Directorate-General for Health to look for solutions to resume activity after childbirth.
At the beginning of this month, the postponements for Rock in Rio Lisboa and Primavera Sound in Porto in Porto for June had already been announced.
The government’s decimation plan, which began gradually on March 15, provides for large outdoor and indoor events with reduced capacity, which may include festivals, to resume from May 3. However, it is still uncertain under what forms or conditions this will happen.