Reception of refugees from Greek camps stopped | Free press

0
25

About 3,650 refugees have been allowed to leave the reception camps in Greece in the past 12 months. Many of them have been brought to Germany – today for the last time.

Hanover (dpa) – Germany has completed the admission of particularly needy refugees from camps in Greece, which started a year ago. A plane carrying 103 people landed in Hanover on Thursday, the Federal Ministry of the Interior announced.

“The admission of 2,750 women, children and men from the Greek islands has been completed,” Federal Interior Minister Horst Seehofer (CSU) said in Berlin. He hoped that the other EU countries would also quickly fulfill their commitments to take in the refugees.

According to the information, 21 families with 48 adults and 55 children and young people were fleeing to Hanover. Twelve federal states, including Lower Saxony, ensure their admission.

Due to the difficult conditions in the overcrowded Greek camps, EU countries decided last spring to expel 5,200 unaccompanied minor refugees. The first children and young people to come to Germany also arrived in Hanover about a year ago.

After a major fire in the Moria camp on Lesvos, the evacuation of the islands was extended to family members. On April 19, 3,658 refugees had been admitted to EU countries, Norway and Switzerland, the ministry said.

“Thousands of people still live in unreasonable conditions on the Greek islands,” said SPD chairman Saskia Esken. As long as a good supply is not guaranteed there, the SPD will work in the coalition to bring even more federal contingents of particularly vulnerable people to Germany.

Try it for 30 days for € 20.99

Access to all content on freiepresse.de and e-paper. (ends automatically)

Now € 0 instead of € 20.99