For about three weeks, Russian opposition activist Alexei Navalny did not eat food in a prison camp in protest at inadequate medical conditions. Now he has ended his hunger strike.
Moscow (dpa) – Kremlin opponent Alexei Navalny, who is imprisoned in the Russian penal camp, has announced the end of his hunger strike, which has been going on for three weeks.
Given “all circumstances”, he began to come out of the strike, said a message on his Instagram channel on Friday. His doctors had previously recommended that he urgently resume eating.
In a letter published by the media on Thursday, Navalny doctors called on the opposition politician to immediately end his hunger strike. If he stopped eating, it would further damage his health and in the worst case lead to death, it was said. The doctors said they evaluated the results of the study.
Navalny had previously been taken to a hospital outside the prison for investigation, according to his team. He was examined in the city of Vladimir, east of Moscow.
The politician recently complained of back pain, limb paralysis, fever and cough. Navalny now wrote that his demand to see an independent doctor persisted. It wasn’t until Wednesday during nationwide protests that his supporters demanded adequate medical care for the 44-year-old.
Try it for 30 days for € 20.99
Access to all content on freiepresse.de and e-paper. (ends automatically)
Now € 0 instead of € 20.99