Cyberpunk 2077 – how to upgrade from PS4 to PS5 for free
Do you want to know how to get a free PS5 upgrade for Cyberpunk 2077? You’ve probably been saving your copy of the game for a long time (perhaps since launch) in anticipation of CD Projekt Red’s highly anticipated next-gen upgrade.
Finally, that moment has arrived. Cyberpunk 2077, like many other PlayStation cross-generation titles, includes an upgrade route that allows PS4 owners to play the game on PS5 for no extra charge. It’s a terrific feature in games like Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, as well as recent hits like Horizon Forbidden West, even if Sony’s version isn’t ideal.
So, how do you go from a PS4 to a PS5 version of Cyberpunk 2077? Depending on whether you have a digital or disc copy, the procedure changes.
Getting to Next-Generation Technologies
Since its release in 2020, the PlayStation 5 has been in and out of supply at shops. The variant without a disc drive costs $400, while the one with one costs $500.
Because game upgrades aren’t done automatically or through a standard game update, it’s easy to keep playing PS4 games on your new PS5. To upgrade to the PS5 version, go to the PlayStation Network page and select it. That will download the additional data required for next-generation features.
You can update to the PS5 version if you have a physical PS4 game and a PS5 with a disc drive. You’ll always need the PS4 disc to play the PS5 version; upgrading does not grant you a free digital copy of the game. You’ll still need to download the PS5 update from PSN, but you won’t need to buy a PS5-specific disc because your PS4 one will act as an authenticator.
If you bought the digital-only PS5 and have a CD, you’re out of luck. There are a couple more limitations and warnings to keep in mind:
Also Read: What role does NATO play in Russia-Ukraine conflict?
- Some PS5 ports of current PS4 games are yet to be released.
- The next-gen versions will be larger files, taking up more space on the console’s SSD.
- You’ll get a new set of awards (each version’s list is different).
- Some games’ saves will not transfer, and others will require you to manually upload your save from the PS4 version before accessing it on the PS5.
- Some game enhancements are only available in special editions or cross-gen packages.
First-party policy change
Sony initially stated that you couldn’t get a free upgrade from the PS4 to the PS5 edition of Horizon Forbidden West unless you purchased the more expensive Digital Deluxe, Collector’s, or Regalla Edition. It eventually changed its mind, stating that anyone who purchased the PS4 version will be eligible for a free PS5 upgrade.
Upgrade Cyberpunk 2077 on disc
- Sign in to your PSN account on PS5.
- In the PlayStation 4, insert the Cyberpunk 2077 CD.
- Open the Cyberpunk 2077 game hub and look on the right side of the screen for the upgrade offer.
- Select “Download” from the drop-down menu.
- The PS5 version is now available for download, although it still requires the PS4 disc to play.
Upgrade the digital version of Cyberpunk 2077
- Sign in to your PSN account on PS5.
- The game hub for Cyberpunk 2077 can get accessed in your game library or on the PlayStation Store.
- In the Cyberpunk 2077 game center, look for the upgrade offer.
- From the drop-down menu, choose Download or Add to Library.
- The PS5 version of the game is now available for download and play on your PS5, just like any other digital game.
Since Cyberpunk 2077 debuted on PlayStation 4 in late 2020, a lot has changed in Night City. In preparation for the PS5 launch, Patch 1.5 adds new features, content, and improvements.
You’ll be able to choose between a performance setting that aims for 60 frames per second in dynamic 4K or ray tracing, referred to as “ray-traced local shadows” on the PS5, and enhanced crowd reactions on the new platforms.
Cyberpunk 2077, which sparked controversy when it was released in 2020 owing to serious performance concerns, is the most recent blockbuster game to receive the upgrade treatment. On February 15, CD Projekt Red published Patch 1.5, which added a slew of new features and brought the game to the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S.